Sunday, July 6, 2014

New garden/fiber mystery coming in August--DYE, DYEING, DEAD

Dear friends,

Here is where I mix my "real" life and my professional life. The reason I haven't posted many pics of the house/garden recently is that I've been busy finishing the (hopefully) final version of my new novella---DYE, DYEING, DEAD.


This is actually a story I started eons ago and put aside for other projects. It's morphed into something similar, yet different, over the years. The main protagonist, Kendra Louise Harper, who is also featured in some of my other "Nameless, Texas" short stories, is a folklorist who researches and writes about Texas lore, legends and folklore.

In this story, she's helping her Aunt Jewel with an indigo dyeing workshop. In the past, I've designed and grown natural plant dye gardens, gave many how-to workshops and wrote several non-fiction books on the subject---Colors from Nature (published by Storey but now OOP) and Nature's Dyepot (published by Fiberworks Publications in Austin but now also OOP) under the name Bobbi A. McRae.

Once I decided that Kendra would be a folklorist (or she decided LOL), who lives with her Aunt Jewel, an avid gardener who gives garden workshops, it made sense to me to start off with this story.

Projected publication date is August, and I'll announce when it's available. It will be an e-book and perhaps even a paperbook.

Until then, happy trails!

bobbi c.

2 comments:

Gloria Alden said...

Love the cover and the theme of your book. I have indigo growing in my vast gardens, too, here in NE Ohio.

Bobbi A. Chukran, Author said...

Hi Gloria, Thank you! When you get a chance, I'd love to see photos of your indigo. I don't have any growing right now, but have in the past. BTW, I had to change the cover of the book since that first one. It's still about indigo dyeing, though. :-)