Friday, May 20, 2011

Search for home

Dear friends,

When we downsized from a big custom home on seven acres to this smaller place in town, we said it was only temporary. It's been a good in-between place for us, because we couldn't fathom moving from 3,000 square-feet straight into a 1,000 SF home on a tiny town lot.

Now that we've lived in this 1,700 SF home for four years now, we've decided that there's a lot of wasted space here. And I hate wasted space! So now we're looking for another home in another area. This area is lovely, and has a wonderful school system, but since we don't have kids, we find it a bit annoying to pay for new stadiums, etc. when there are many other schools who don't even have the basics.

Over the past six-months, I've looked at thousands of homes online, and toured inside a couple of dozen. After looking around South Austin (and fantasizing about moving back to the town we consider home), slogging through the traffic, we decided to look at smaller towns.

Our recent home hunt has taken us to Taylor, Texas. It looks good provided we can maneuver through the very strict process of going through the city for permits and such. (Here's a rant...why don't these small towns make it easier for folks like us to come in, buy older homes, and fix them up? Maybe they don't want folks moving in? I don't get it.) Anyway, I digress...and it ain't the first, and it won't be the last time I do so. LOL

Taylor is one of those quaint "vintage" towns that is home to the Morning Glory stuffing company (used in quilts for years), and Louie Mueller BBQ---internationally famous and one of the former favorite hang-outs of the Democrat Trinity of Liz Carpenter, Ann Richards and Molly Ivins, or so I've been told. RIP, gals! Where are those time machines when you need one? I mean, really, wouldn't it be a hoot to happen on that bunch at lunch? But I digress, again. Told ya I would!



Anyhow, we're trying to decide if we've gone stark raving bonkers for even flirting with the idea of buying an old house (I ain't talkin' 1950 here, folks) and fixing it up. I do need a project. LOL. Somebody stop me!

We shall see. Stay tuned!

bobbi c.

2 comments:

The Sage Butterfly said...

It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought! I hope all goes smoothly for you.

Bobbi A. Chukran, Author said...

Thanks so much, Sage Butterfly!

bc