Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Take comfort, dear ones...

The Earthly Gardener by Bobbi A. Chukran
February 22, 2007

Dear friends,

After years with my office in the back of the house, I convinced Husband to switch rooms with me. His office was at the front of the house, overlooking the gardens; mine was at the back overlooking a rocky gray hillside covered with scrubby cedars. I can’t tell you how much difference that move has made to my mood everyday, my level of inspiration and general well-being.



I’m convinced that looking at flowers and plants releases endorphins in our system, much like smelling good food cooking does. And for sure, smelling the fragrance of an antique rose HAS to do something good to our physical bodies.

My garden comforts me. When I see the heirloom onions popping up that a friend back in Austin gave me years ago, or when I see a plant bloom that was just a tiny seed just a few months before, or when I hear the chirping of birds at the birdbath or the buzz of bees in the rosemary bush, I’m comforted.

Take comfort in a garden. Doesn’t matter what size, shape or form. Plant a few herbs, attract some bees, plant one tomato plant and when it fruits, stand out in the garden in the sunshine and eat one off of the vine, and let the sweet acid juice run down your chin.

I guarantee you will be comforted.

dig it!

bobbi c.
Copyright ©2007 by bobbi a. chukran.

No comments: