Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Dibbles, dibblers or dibbers by Derek

The Earthly Gardener by Bobbi A. Chukran
May 1, 2007

Not long ago I received an order of dibbers from my Nova Scotian woodturner friend and artist, Derek Andrews. I had never even heard of dibbers (AKA dibblers or dibbles) until I saw them on his Seafoam Woodturning Studio website, but now I’m finding out what great little tools they can be in the garden.



You can use them for planting bulbs, seedlings or young plants, and I love that he’s marked measurements on them. Derek does wonderful work, and we have a few of his other pieces in our collection. His dibbers are smooth as glass, and I *almost* hate to get them dirty. I had to run outside and try them, and I love the way they work! I’ll write more about them when I use them to plant my new tomato babies. It’s so seldom that you find handmade garden tools! (And these are VERY affordable, too, and will last forever!)

Check out Derek's site, he also makes wonderful wooden bowls, wine stoppers, sculpture and more.

dig it!

bobbi c.
Copyright ©2007 by bobbi a. chukran. all rights reserved.

No comments: