Monday, April 30, 2007

Injuries and gardening

April 19, 2007 by Bobbi A. Chukran

Mornin’ earthly gardeners,

I’ve had some major arm and shoulder pain, and finally went to the doc yesterday. Seems I have either a torn or a sprained rotator cuff in my right shoulder, AND tendinitis. Ay yi yi. Of course, the doctor was full of advice….take pain relievers, get some physical therapy, quit key whacking (yeah, right) and don’t do any heavy lifting, rock flinging, or digging. Uh huh. You can imagine what I thought. I just nodded my head and came home, took the pills and made the PT appointment. We’ll see about the other stuff. I do plan to look into some different tools to make things a bit easier.

Spring is definitely here, although the nights have been nippy. The veggies are not happy, and planting has been delayed because of all the rain. We LIKE rain, but it does cause problems at times. Here, we need to get an early start on the garden, because by early July a lot of the plants will wither away and die from the heat. This year I have to think about erecting some shade in the garden to help with that. I did plant several small crape myrtle trees (minis) in the middle of my raised beds. Every little bit of shade will help and the watermelon pink color attracts hummingbirds.



I recently ran across the website for The Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, PA. Their site is gorgeous, and has quite a nice “virtual tour” of their gardens. Take a break, take a look, be inspired.

dig it!

bobbi c.

http://www.bobbichukran.com

Copyright ©2007 bobbi a. chukran.

No comments: