Monday, June 4, 2012

My garden sustains me

"Why do you spend so much time out in the heat, playing in the dirt?"  a friend asked me.  I looked around at the gorgeous daylilies, finally blooming after a year of uncertainty and nursing them through the worst drought that Texas has ever seen (in recorded history).  I looked around at the rosebushes (over 80 of them!) that are struggling to survive although covered with snails--yet, are still blooming.  I looked around at the yard filled with crepe myrtles that are blooming with five different colors right now (from watermelon-red to fuchsia-pink) and the stray sunflowers that have been planted by the many birds who call this garden their home.

I hear the songs from at least a dozen different species of birds, the tapping of the woodpecker on the pecan trees, the screeching of mockingbirds warning away the bluejays.



To some, I guess, it's just work that has to be done.  To me, it's an escape from the room inside where I write all my mystery and strange and quirky speculative fiction, and where I live in fantasy worlds filled with elves, and fairies and fictional characters who can't stop talking, in my award-winning plays for young people.  :-)

The garden is a respite, a haven of rest for my weary brain after I've spewed out 30,000 words in a week and can't do. one. more. thing.  The garden restores me.  THAT's why I spend so much time out there, in the heat, playing in the dirt.  You should try it sometime.

Happy Trails!

bobbi c.

P. S. Check out my new Texas historical mystery novel, LONE STAR DEATH.  Available now for only $2.99 on Amazon as a Kindle e-book.  Yeehaw!




No comments: