Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Simple Supper with Local Foods

Dear friends,

During these hot days of summer, nobody around my house wants to spend a lot of time cooking. Tonight I decided to use a "hodge podge" of what I had in the house to make a very (almost vegetarian) delicious dish of new potatoes sauteed with Asian yard long green beans. The taters came from Angel Valley Farm in Jonestown, Texas, and the beans came from my garden.

First, I halved and cooked the potatoes in the microwave with a little water for about 6 minutes til they were soft.

Meanwhile, I sauteed garlic, purple onion, one pimento pepper (also from my garden) in a skillet with olive oil. I added a few small pieces of leftover cooked bacon from dinner last night (breakfast for dinner is also a way of saving time and energy), a few sprigs of dill, covered the skillet and cooked on low heat til the beans were almost done.

When the potatoes were done, I threw them in the skillet with the beans, tossed them and added a small pat of butter.

I served them with a side of chopped fresh tomatoes (also from Angel Valley Farm) and my (first ever) cucumbers from our garden with rustic Italian bread and butter and a glass of white chenin blanc from Fall Creek Vineyards, a local winery in Tow, Texas.

Delicious, fast, and easy!

Happy trails,

bobbi c.

No comments: