Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Front yard landscaping

Since I caught some small children (AKA "brats") picking up landscaping stones from my front garden and throwing them into the trees, I've decided not to put much food out there until I can put up some kind of barrier fence. It will be mostly decorative, but I hope it will also help deter the little pests.

So, in the meantime, I've been working on a general landscape using native Texas plants, herbs and small shrubs and one new Shumard oak.

The first photo is part of the front flower bed, right underneath the windows against the white limestone. Herbs such as lavender and rosemary do extremely well there.



This is the way I landscape, a little at a time, willy nilly, and THEN, all of a sudden, it pulls itself together into a cohesive design. LOL. It drives friends NUTS, but this is the way I work. I'll plant one thing, then add something else next to it, then mulch them together, in a sort of planting island. Future medium sized shrubs will grow to eventually hide the neighbor's driveway and trash cans.



I'll add smaller plants next to them farther out, adding more mulch. Eventually, the plan is to have the yard filled with all plants and mulch, with some paths, and NO GRASS.



This photo is a little planting pocket to the right of the driveway, next to the neighbor's yard. Eventually I want to extend this all the way out to the road. Pink native salvias, rosemary, red salvias, coreopsis grow happily with a pavonia.


An existing flower bed was there when we moved in, but was filled with black mulch and houseplants. UGH. Since then, I've replaced them with lemongrass and butterfly iris underneath the faucet where it's moist, and added rosemary, more salvias, Mexican bush sage and seasonal bulbs to fill in.



It's shaping up, a wee bit at a time!

Dig it!

bobbi c.

No comments: