Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dressing up the garden

I love using found elements to help dress up my garden. Here are a few things I've done. The first one is a birdbath and sunface wall art next to the back patio. In this area I'm growing garlic chives, irises, yarrow and creeping oregano for a ground cover.



This is an iron shelf I recently found at the Goodwill Store for $5.00. I got the idea of adding shelves to my fence so that I can do some vertical gardening. I'm also adding lots of brackets for hanging baskets along the same side of the fence.



I mentioned that I'm "pink-washing" my old ugly fence using watered down clearance latex paint. Here's a pic where you can see the difference.





This is a cactus that neighbor dug from her yard and gave me. It's spineless, so it's not a huge problem. It's growing in an old iron trough and accompanied by another decorative orb.



This is one of my two apricot trees, growing near the back patio. A pot of Texas esperanza sits nearby, which attracted bees that pollinated the apricots. A colorful pot of geraniums adds to the colorful group.



And here's another old iron cauldron with salvias, bulbs and who knows what else growing in it! Funny, my great-grandmother used to use the exact same type of cauldron to grow portulaca in her cottage garden. That's the ONE memory I have of her.




I hope these have given you some ideas for dressing up your own garden!

Dig it!

bobbi c.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.