Sunday, July 20, 2008

What I'm planting....and yes, I'm one of THOSE people!

Dear garden friends,

A plant nursery worker expressed amusement last week when I bought four fruit trees for my back yard. He said, "You must be one of THOSE people." I laughed, because I knew that he meant I was one of those gardeners who don't stop planting during the summer. Never mind that it was 95-degrees yesterday, and hit 107 sometime last week. I know that as long as I water anything I plant until it gets established, AND mulch like nobody's business, the plant will be OK 99.9% of the time.

To wit (love saying that!), I'm copying some of the home decor blogs where they list the chores they've accomplished, and will be listing the plants that I've successfully planted, and some that weren't so successful (very few of them are not.)
Today, I planted:

**three more rosemaries (to replace the water-sucking vampire plants AKA golden euonymous that never took off, even after a year)

**two more lavenders (they do VERY well here)

**three purple coneflowers (echinacea, a gorgeous landscape plant and a great medicinal, to boot)

I also have a Gregg's blue mist plant (which is supposed to be an excellent butterfly plant) and a fig tree to get in the ground, and a little bay laurel to pot up.

Notice a theme? Yes, I'm also one of THOSE gardeners who use lots and lots of herbs for landscaping. Sure, I mix in some annuals, and some Texas native Xeriscape plants, but in general, herbs look great AND we can cook with them. What's NOT to love??

All in all, not bad work for a hot Sunday morning!

Before garden (July 2007)


And now garden (July 2008)


Raised beds are made by simply leaning cedar fence picket boards against stakes pounded into the ground in rough rectangular shapes, then filled with top soil, compost, mulch,shredded leaves, you name it.

dig it!

bobbi c.

No comments: