Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Water the birdies....

The Earthly Gardener by Bobbi A. Chukran
February 15, 2007

Dear friends,

When we first moved out here to the country, I thought it odd that there weren’t many birds other than the native roadrunners and a few sparrows. But when we hung a few birdfeeders and added a few birdbaths to our yard, they came. Slowly, but surely. Now, ten years later, we commonly get birds such as hummingbirds, tufted titmouses (titmice?), cardinals, mockingbirds, painted buntings and some of the native endangered or rare birds such as cedar waxwing and golden cheeked warblers.

In order to get a good look at these birds, I placed a birdbath right outside my office/studio window. Yesterday I was treated to a cardinal pecking at the small piece of ice in there, and another as-yet-unID’d bird that I’ve never seen here before.

I have several cement birdbaths, and one beloved cast iron one, but you know what? The birds don’t care what they’re made out of! I even have a few that are cheapy galvanized pans I found at the local hardware store for less than $5 each. Filled with water and a rock for the birds to stand on, they make great birdbaths for the birds who like to drink their water lower to the ground. Here’s an example of one I made:



Birds make great additions to an organic garden, since many of them eat their weight in bugs!

Dig it!

bobbi c.
Copyright ©2005-2008 by Bobbi A. Chukran

No comments: