Monday, April 30, 2007

Why grow organic?

The Earthly Gardener by Bobbi A. Chukran
March 19, 2007

Mornin’ friends!

A few have asked me why I go to such great lengths to make my garden organic when there are more and more organic items in the grocery stores these days. There are several reasons for that.

One, the items in grocery stores (unless they are supplied by local farms) have been shipped thousands of miles before they get to my local store. It’s a big waste of energy and resources, and the food just isn’t as fresh as your own or locally grown produce. Frozen organic foods are a good compromise if you can’t grow your own, but it takes a lot of energy to process those.

Two, I can also grow things that you just can’t find in the stores…heirloom tomatoes, fruits that might not make it through the shipping, etc.

If you can’t grow your own, there are hundreds of small organic family farms around the US….buying locally is a great thing to do, and a great alternative to having your own organic gardens.

After seeing the news reports about all the snow in New England, I’m thankful that I don’t have to deal with that. Our weather has been somewhat cool, not too humid yet, but it’s been very overcast and rainy, and the garden is just in a neutral mode right now…..waiting for sunshine!

dig it!

bobbi c.

Copyright © 2007 Bobbi A. Chukran

No comments: